Lansing Reads is a community effort, housed at the Lansing Promise Foundation, sparked by Champions from Lansing’s own Athena Award Celebration, working in partnership with the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce to support the students and teachers of the Lansing School District.
- In partnership with the Capital Area District Library, every student in the District will be presented with a library card, opening up access to the print and digital resources of the library to every young peson.
- Highlighting and expanding access to the most popular and most impactful books for children in grades K-3.
- Extending a call to action to hundreds of area residents to support the program by creating a video of themselves reading a book from the list, making a donation to the program, or both.
- Providing the videos to teachers for use in the new screen-to-screen teaching platform, as well as all students, by housing the videos on a platform openly available to all students and teachers in the LSD.
- Supporting the ongoing efforts of Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) to provide every K-3 grade student in the LSD with free books every year. Studies show a direct correlation between owning books and reading enjoyment as well as reading above grade level.